- Department of Law
- About Us
The Department of Law acts as legal counsel for the City of Rockford, its elected officials, officers, and employees (in their official capacities), and provide legal advice to the various City Departments and agencies.
The Department of Law is located on the 7th floor of City Hall. The department provides legal services for administrative and legislative issues including:
- Maintaining custody of records and city documents, and preparing, recording, filing, and keeping all proceeds of the city council
- Appearing for and protecting the rights and interests of the city in actions, suits, and proceedings brought by or against it or any city officer, board, or department acting in their official capacities
- Prosecuting city ordinance violations, including code enforcement for Building Department, Zoning Division, and Fire Department
- Advising and prosecuting, as required by law, matters for certain commissions and committees
- Acting on behalf of the Mayor to issue liquor licenses, and investigate and prosecute violations of the liquor code
- Providing legal advice concerning matters to the City Council and drafting ordinances, committee reports, and resolutions as required
- Acquiring and disposing of an interest in real estate for the City of Rockford
- Drawing deeds, leases, contracts, or other papers as required for the City of Rockford
The Legal Department cannot provide legal advice to members of the general public.
- Who do I call about a City liquor or tobacco license?
For liquor or tobacco licenses within the City of Rockford, please call Shelia Alexander at 779-348-7383. For information about State of Illinois liquor licenses, call the Illinois State Liquor Control Commission at 312-814-2206 or visit their website.
- Does the City of Rockford allow ownership of chickens?
No. The City of Rockford does not permit ownership of any type of fowl.
- How do I find out about my next court date?
You may find your Circuit Court date at this website.
You may find your Code Hearing date by calling 779-348-7154 and having your name, case number, or property address ready for our personnel to look up your info.
- Where do I pay or dispute my Park Rockford ticket?
Information on Park Rockford tickets can be found at this link. Park Rockford tickets are administered by ABM, not the employees of the City of Rockford. You can contact ABM at 815-968-5294 with any questions.
- I need an attorney for a private matter (divorce, alimony, child support, a civil lawsuit, neighborhood dispute). Can the City represent me?
The City of Rockford Department of Law, by ordinance, may only represent the City of Rockford officials and employees in their formal capacity. We cannot provide legal advice to the general public. The Winnebago County Bar Association has a lawyer referral site to assist in the selection of a private attorney.