- How Do I...
- Apply For
No entity shall demolish or wreck a structure unless such entity is licensed to do so as herein provided.
- This article shall not be construed to apply to contractors or homeowners doing minor demolition that is necessary for the course of building construction work, in the opinion of the code official.
- The license provision of this article shall not apply to homeowners who demolish accessory structures or attached garages not greater than 20 feet in height or 750 square feet at their principal place of residence. However, homeowners so exempted shall still be responsible for the permit requirements described in this article, as well as the requirements of sections 105-275(a), (b), (d), and (e).
Class of Licenses and Qualifications
Classifications. There shall be three classes of licenses for demolition that shall be based upon the qualifications, experience, and knowledge of the licensee to properly conduct various types of demolitions:
A class A license shall allow the license holder to perform all types of demolitions subject to the provisions of the city building code and all other applicable city ordinances and other regulations in effect. Applicants for a class A license must demonstrate five years of experience actively engaged in the business of demolition and three years of experience over that time in the demolition of all of the following types of buildings:
- Buildings over two stories in height that shall not include attic space or over 45 feet in height;
- Buildings situated on a lot less than ten feet from adjacent buildings or sidewalks;
- Buildings with common or party walls shared with an adjacent property or located immediately adjacent to a right-of-way; and
- Buildings determined by a qualified person to be structurally unsound.
A class B license shall allow the license holder to perform the types of demolitions listed in subsections (2)a, (2)b, and (2)c of this section. Applicants for a class B license must demonstrate three years of experience actively engaged in the business of demolition and successful demolition of a minimum of ten buildings.
- Buildings two stories or less and less than 45 feet in height;
- Buildings in excess of ten feet from the adjacent buildings or sidewalk; and
- Buildings listed in subsections (1)a. through (1)d. of this section, under the supervision of, and permit issued to, a class A license holder.
A class C license shall allow the license holder to perform the types of demolitions listed in subsections (3)a, (3)b, and (3)c of this section. Applicants for a class C license must demonstrate two years of experience actively engaged in the business of building construction and/or demolition of accessory structures and/or detached garages associated with residential occupancies and successful construction and/or demolition of a minimum of five buildings.
- Buildings one story and less than 25 feet in height.
- Buildings in excess of ten feet from adjacent buildings or sidewalks.
- Detached accessory buildings or garages associated with residential occupancies.
Building Demolition Contractors
|Class||Liability Insurance||Licensing Fee|
Note 1: The application must be submitted and approved.
Where demolition is not of a free-standing building and does not include a significant portion of a building being demolished in the course of a permitted building construction project, a demolition permit is not required.
Where demolition is of a structure not more than 20 feet in height and not more than 750 square feet in area that is an accessory structure to an owner-occupied single-family dwelling, a licensed demolition contractor is not required. A permit and the responsibilities of the applicant are required.
Building Moving Contractors
|Required (See Note 2)||$10,000||Comprehensive General Liability = $500,000|
|Not Required (See Note 3)||N/A|
- Note 2: The application must be submitted and approved
- Note 3: Where a building is small (not more than 16 feet wide), a building movers license is not required. A permit and proof of insurance are required.